Friday, 16 September 2011

Review: Halo - Alexandra Adornetto

Published: August 31st 2010, Feiwel & Friends
Pages: 484 pages, hardback
Series?: Yes. This is book one. Book two (Hades - with the most hideous cover art I have ever laid eyes on) is out now
Acquired: Purchased myself. Yes, I actually paid money for this

Summary (from Goodreads): Three angels – Gabriel, the warrior ; Ivy, the healer ; and Bethany, the youngest and most human – are sent by Heaven to bring good to a world falling under the influence of darkness. They must work hard to conceal their luminous glow, superhuman powers, and, most dangerous of all, their wings, all the while avoiding all human attachments.

Then Bethany meets Xavier Woods, and neither of them is able to resist the attraction between them. Gabriel and Ivy do everything in their power to intervene, but the bond between Xavier and Bethany seems too strong.
The angel’s mission is urgent, and dark forces are threatening. Will love ruin Bethany or save her?

My review: Oh God. Okay. I don't tend to write negative reviews a whole lot, mostly because I do enjoy the majority of books I read. However, sometimes I make bad, bad choices. Unfortunately, Halo was one of them. The worst part? I was taken in by the cover. God damn it. Never again. NEVER AGAIN.

***I will preface this review by saying that you may well want to take my words with a pinch of salt - if you are a hardcore fan of the genre maybe you'll enjoy this one. There are tonnes and tonnes of five star reviews over on Goodreads so do head over there before you make your mind up. I don't want to put anyone off of buying this book because, who knows, you may love it. However, I certainly did not.***

Where do I begin? With the done to death plot? The archetypal characters who have absolutely no shred of personality? The terrifying fact that this is actually going to be dragged out for three books? I could go on.

Right, so, Gabriel. Our main hottie. Of course he's gorgeous, of course he has a banging body, of course he has absolutely no personality. Bethany was a total dolt and Xaviar was a drip. Not a great combination of characters. Bethany is a terrible role model. It makes me sad to see so many younger readers reviewing this book and saying how great Bethany is and how the love story is so beautiful. I'm sorry but no.

Why oh why are so many of us of the mindset that the girls to aspire to are mindless idiots who fall in love with pretty boys the second they see them? Of course, that's true love right there. Seriously, everybody who hates on Twilight? Give Halo a go and then you'll really have something to complain about. I used to think Twilight was the worst thing to come out of the PR genre. Then I read Halo. Yeah. I said it.

After reading Halo I had to immediately bury my nose in some Courtney Summers to restore my faith in humanity. God. Although, one thing I am looking forward to is seeing the cover reveal for Heaven. After the monstrosity that is the Hades I do hope the cover designers continue the 'Meatloaf tribute album' theme - reading Halo has put me in such a grump I could do with a giggle.

Do feel free to link to your positive (or negative) reviews of Halo in the comments if you want to - I know I may well be in the minority with my thoughts.

First line: 'Our arrival didn't exactly go as planned.'

Read if you like…: I don't even know. I'm sorry. Cliches, maybe?

Rating:
Plot: 1/5
Writing: 3/5
Characters: 2/5
Cover: 4/5
Total: 10/20 (D)

11 comments:

  1. 'Cliches, maybe?' hahahahhahahaha I said pretty much exactly the same thing when I reviewed it and wondered where all the glowing five star reviews were coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how honestly you've reviewed this one. Halo was a strange reading experience for me. On one hand I found it incredibly easy to read - I was kind of drawn in. On the other, I just don't get how people want to read fiction founded on such rigid views of sin and hell. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree more. I mean i didn't even read the whole book and i felt like tearing each page apart with my teeth but i am seriously not gonna waste another second on it. God, that nearly took my ability to read away. How can somebody publish actually publish? I too went in becoz of the cover, never gonna make that mistake again

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't help but laugh at your post. You are hilarious Carly. I might have to wave my hand in the air and say I loved it! But I hadn't read many like then when I did read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh, yeah, I keep hearing that it's bad and I still have it on my tbr list. Really! It's because of that cover. It's beautiful! I should just get it when it's really cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read your review and believe you, but the cover still makes me want to read it, Damn it! Haha, who knows I might actually like it, occasionally I surprise myself and love really bad books, then am disgusted in myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was totally sucked in by the cover too. Let's just say I'm not a fan of this one! At least they won't be fooling anyone with that cover for the second book. It's awful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well you certainly gave me the giggles reading your review! It does have a pretty cover, but I knew it wouldn't be for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the first book in a projected trilogy, but it ends pretty well on its own. I think this would have been much better as a standalone book than trying to stretch it into a trilogy, however I will probably read the rest of the books, just to see where the author take this story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found this book to be fascinating. The entire premise of angels...and major ones at that coming to live and work in this lovely seaside town was intriguing. The idea that angels are agents of a higher power was fascinating. Gabriel acted with the blessing of a Covenant and could be powerful yet merciful at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.