Monday, 19 September 2011

Review: Lia's Guide to Winning the Lottery - Keren David

Published: August 4th 2011, Frances Lincoln
Pages: 339 pages, paperback
Series/standalone?: Standalone
Acquired: Kindly sent for review by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads): Money can't buy you love. But it can buy many other very nice things. Lia's mum is a nag, her sister's a pain and she's getting nowhere in pursuit of the potentially paranormal Raf. Then she wins GBP8 million in the lottery, and suddenly everything is different. But will Lia's fortune create more problems than it solves?

Everyone dreams of winning the lottery - but what's it really like? Find out in this hilarious story by Keren David, whose acclaimed debut novel, When I Was Joe, was Highly Commended for the Booktrust Teenage Prize.

My review: Me and my boyfriend spend quite a lot of time discussing what we would do if we won the lottery. It's something that regularly springs to my mind and I already have my plan of action tucked away in my mind, just in case. So, it was a fairly safe bet that I'd love Lia's Guide to Winning the Lottery.

So I'll start with Lia herself. I've seen a lot of reviews where people have commented negatively on her personality at the beginning of the book. You know what? I loved her. I thought she was brilliant. There's just something about a bitchy character that I can't help but be charmed by. Bitchy Lia was awesome, Nicer Lia was...nice. I don't know, I think she might have lost a bit of her sparkle as the book went on but I am definitely the only person in the entire world who thinks so.

Raf was great, the 'paranormal' element of the book really made me laugh - I'm pretty sure this has been happening to pale boys who read ever since Twilight exploded onto the scene. I've been reading quite a few serious books over the last couple of weeks so something fun and fresh like Lia's Guide to Winning the Lottery is excited what I needed. Keren David, you've done it again!

I'm really becoming a huge fan of Keren David's books. I adored When I Was Joe and Almost True and now I can add Lia's Guide to Winning the Lottery to the list. I'm definitely going to be picking up her future releases and if you haven't read anything of hers yet then get to it straight away.

First line: 'My mother kicked me out one minute after I won eight million pounds.'

Rating:
Plot: 4/5
Writing: 4/5
Characters: 3/5
Cover: 4/5
Total: 15/20 (B)

3 comments:

  1. I started this last week and just couldnt get into it... I was in a bit of a funk though and I wanted something meaty to get my teeth into. I think I'll give it another go at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one on my pile of books to read. I really hope that I enjoy it as I've LOVED Keren David's other books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well i loved your article. I also started last month. Thank you so much for sharing this nice blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.