Sunday, 30 October 2011

NaNoWriMo 2011

The decision has been made. I will be taking part in NaNo this year, after swearing I wasn't going to. I was planning on editing my WIP alongside everybody taking part so I could cheerlead etc but I had PROMISED myself I wouldn't write something new. All was well.

Then Viv came along and tempted me and now I'm all signed up.

At this point all I have is a title that I randomly got from a song on the playlist I'm listening to. It's 'Under the Influence' by the way (from the similarly titled Taking Back Sunday song. Yay for Taking Back Sunday, you wily title masters). I know it's going to be set in a university - write what you know etc etc. I really don't know what's going to happen or who my characters are but I know alcohol, regret and absolutely nothing high brow will be involved.

I'm actually really excited. It's kind of nice to go into something after absolutely no planning whatsoever. I think I'm going to try and keep it unplanned. My first NaNo novel was from an idea that I'd had years ago and had always been in the back of my head so I already knew the characters and plot. This time - nada. DE NADA. Sorry.

Things here at Writing from the Tub will probably slow down over the next month and I may get even slower at responding to emails. I'll be blogging more about writing, I expect.

If any of you are taking part please add me on the NaNo website - my username is Tinklechacha and I think I'm going to need a lot of buddies to keep me motivated! Public failure is my worst nightmare so maybe this will stop me losing.

Meh, 1667 words a day. Totally do-able. Right? Maybe not when I add in editing my current WIP (I'm making a rule that I edit that for two hours before I write for NaNo every day), working, having a social life and a relationship. And blogging. Oh God.

I've done this twice, I can do it again. Yes I can, yes I can, yes I can. I am absolutely, 100%, NOT allowed anywhere near Memebase or the NaNo forums until I've done my editing AND writing every day. Please enforce this as best you can!

I'm also going to do my annual Winter tradition of trying to start running again. Okay, maybe I'll come home from work, do my two hours of editing straight away, then go for a run and do a bit of mental plotting for my NaNo writing. That sounds so perfect that I already know it's going to last a couple of days, max.

Wish me luck!

5 comments:

  1. I just made the same [bad] decision. I'm adding you now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with Nano. I'll do it one of these years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like everyone is blaming me today for encouraging them to take part in NaNoWriMo. LoL. I am definitely a NaNoWriMo pusher!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with NaNo this year - I'll be on the sidelines cheering you along :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.