Friday, 28 October 2011

Review: The Dead Ways - Christopher Edge

Published: October 1st 2011, Catnip Publishing
Pages: 191 pages, paperback
Series?: Yes, this is book one
Acquired: Kindly sent for review by the publisher

Summary (from back cover of book): Ghostly apparitions on abandoned motorways

Corpses escaping from hospital morgues

Skeletons clawing their way out of the graves


The Dead Ways are opening


The government has a plan to clean up the environment - closing down motorways and returning the land to nature. But beneath the roads lie the Dead Ways, ancient lines of power sealing off this world from the next and imprisoning a long-forgotten evil. As the roads close, time is running out before chaos will be unleashed.


My review: Brilliant - a YA zombie book where zombies are evil and creepy and after nothing but brrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnssss! This, I have been waiting for.

In a market that is becoming increasingly saturated with zombie stories (as zombies are the new vampires, did you get the memo? Yeah, I sure did...Enough already) I am definitely beginning to get sick of reading novel after novel about the zombie who still feels, who's still clinging onto his final shreds of humanity, who's still able to love etc etc, excuse me while I shake my head in despair. Does anyone else agree with me here?

Anyway, the long and short of it is that I was so excited to read The Dead Ways and be genuinely scared by zombies again. I can't remember the last time I read a YA zombie book that freaked me out so much - Christopher Edge is definitely up there with Charlie Higson for the creep factor.

That's one of things I liked so much about this one, the creep factor. There wasn't a lot of gore in The Dead Ways and I found the atmosphere and tension to be a whole lot scarier than any violence that I think other writers may have relied upon. Edge, however, relies upon solid story telling and good, old-fashioned brain eating villains but with a truly unique twist. Brilliant stuff!

This is one that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to a whole host of readers, particularly reluctant boys. As I said, there isn't a whole lot of gore in the book (I didn't think so anyway but don't trust me and give it to your twelve year old to read, I have a high tolerance!) so I do think it would be suitable for younger readers, though be warned - it is very creepy.

I'm really excited about this series and can't wait for the next installment, especially after that ending!

First line: 'As the car sped through the busy London streets, its blacked-out windows glinting in the early summer sunshine, Scott knew that something wasn't right.'

Read if you liked…: The Dead - Charlie Higson

Rating:
Plot: 4/5
Writing: 4/5
Characters: 3/5
Cover: 3/5
Total: 14/20 (B)

2 comments:

  1. Ive given it to my 11 year old to read... maybe Im trying to scare him! haha
    I loved this one too. I thought it was written and paced so well and I loved the idea of the government conspiracy!
    If you like Zombies like this you should read Undead... that ones amazing too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of getting back to actual scary zombies as well! And I like the sound of this one too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.