Tuesday, 8 November 2011

NaNoWriMo 2011: Soundtrack (About A Girl - The Academy Is...)

Hello everybody! I just wanted to post up another song that I've been listening to over and over while writing my NaNoWriMo novel. This time it's one of my all-time favourite songs by one of my favourite bands ever: About A Girl by The Academy Is...

I am absolutely in love with this song. Big time. I listen to it all the time when I'm writing but it's never quite fitted in with a plot line. Until now. Because I think this song fits in with the tone and mood of Under the Influence perfectly. And there's nothing like the dulcet tones of William Beckett to help me get inspired. Jesus Christ, that boy is handsome. I am well aware he weighs about five stone and can resemble a pre-teen girl at certain angles. Still, I would.

Listening to this song and watching the video over and over ad nauseum has really helped me get into the mindset of my male lead. I've been doing a lot of work on my characterisation over the last few days and I feel like I 'get' Toby now, so to speak.

The video for this song inspires me just as much as the song itself and definitely applies a little bit to my story. William Beckett has the whole 'malnourished, slouchy Indie boy' thing down to a T and that's how I see my male lead...just not quite so mal-nourished and not quite so pre-teen girl. The mannerisms and the slight awkwardness and the hair and the really nice teeth, that part.

If you've ever had a crush on somebody who never even knew you existed, if you ever spent your days day-dreaming about the moment they would finally come to their senses and notice you, if you ever tried to hide those feelings in some lame attempt at self-preservation; this is the song for you, my dears.

Plus, there's a bit in the video where William Beckett bites his lip and it makes me feel a bit funny. In a good way.



Inspiring lyrics: Last night I knew what to say but you weren't there to hear it
These lines so well-rehearsed, tongue-tied and overloaded
You never notice

1 comment:

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.