Saturday, 5 November 2011

NaNoWriMo 2011: Soundtrack (The Weakness In Me - Joan Armatrading)

Now, I am all about listening to music while I write. I barely ever write in silence and I make playlist after playlist when I'm planning and writing a novel. Honestly, I have playlist mania. You need a playlist for any occasion, I've got one, I swear down.

Over the last few days I've been putting together the soundtrack to my NaNo so I wanted to start posting up a few of the songs that have been inspiring me and helping me write. One of the main themes I'm exploring in Under the Influence is a lost love, missed opportunities and 'the one that got away' so there's a lot of longing and nostalgia and all nice things like that.

One of the songs that best encompasses the feeling of the story is the one below, The Weakness In Me by Joan Armatrading. I absolutely adore Joan Armatrading with a PASSION. I saw her live a few days ago and it will always be one of the best performances I've ever seen. Every single one of her songs inspires me and I think she's one of the most talented women in the world. Ever. I love her a whole lot.

So if you haven't heard this song before (actually, even if you have) check it out below. I can never, ever listen to it without getting a little teary-eyed, I think it's absolutely beautiful and there's something about the simplicity and honesty of the lyrics that I just love. Love, love, love.

I said in an earlier post about NaNoWriMo I've been finding it quite tough getting into my protagonist's head but listening to this song really helps me get into her frame of mind so yay fror that. Oh, and sorry it's not the official video - I couldn't find one on Youtube :(.



Inspiring lyrics: You make me stay when I should not
Are you so strong, or is all the weakness in me?

Do you guys write with music playing? If so, what songs are you listening to while writing your NaNo novels?

3 comments:

  1. I just don't understand the need for playlists. I feel like I am missing out on something. As I have to write in silence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've been putting together my mix as I go along. I can't work in the quiet at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that song SO much, ever since I first heard it in 10 Things I Hate About You. It's so moving. Yay for NaNo! Hope it's going well!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.