Sunday, 13 November 2011

NaNoWriMo 2011: Week Two Update and Soundtrack (Better than Me - Hinder)

Hello lovelies! I've been a bit quiet over the last few days, mostly because I've been having a mini breakdown about how busy I am. I definitely need to cut back on a few things as I actually cannot remember the last time I sat down and watched a film or a TV show or anything without having to multi task and sort through emails or blog or work at the same time. And that sucks because I'm essentially very, very lazy.

I've got so many emails backed up that the thought of it makes me want to cry and I'm still really busy for the rest of the YEAR, or at least that's how it feels. I think I have one free weekend between now and 2012. And that, I'm telling you now, will be spent in bed - alternating between napping and watching cartoons.

But before I go off into an all out whinge about responsibilities I wanted to update you all about my progress with NaNoWriMo 2011. Oh, and one last thing about being busy, I'm probably not going to be posting up anything non-NaNo related until after I've finished. Just so you know. However, in December reviews will be back big time, as I've set myself a massive challenge to review as many books as possible before the end of the year. But more on that later.

My current word count (at the time of writing this) is 28,043 words, which I'm really chuffed with. My goal for the end of this weekend is 32,000 words and I'm pretty convinced I'll make it. I'd love to surpass it but I think that's a bit unrealistic so 32,000 remains my goal.

I'm not sure what happened but things have just slotted into place and the words are flowing out faster than I can type them. And when I read it back it's actually not crap. What a novelty! It's the end of week two and I'm still in love with my plot, which I'm taking to be a good sign. The only thing I have realised is that the word count is going to be pretty lengthy by the time I've finished the whole thing, I think. The story's roughly split into about 10 parts and I'm just between the second and third parts at the moment. Hmm. Actually, maybe not too lengthy. I reckon it could end up being about 100k, which I suppose is fairly long for what it is.

I think the thing that really made things click into place was changing the tense - I mentioned this in a previous blog post and a couple of bloggers and writers confirmed my thoughts that first person present was worth a bash. I'd never written in it before but as soon as I started everything just felt so much more natural with this story. Awesome! So I want to say a huge thank you to the lovely people who suggested I go for it - it worked!

The song I want to feature today as part of the soundtrack for Under the Influence is 'Better than Me' by Hinder. For me, it's the perfect writing song; it's got a beautiful melody, it's not so overpowering it distracts from my writing and it's SO overdramatic and emo, which always helps me get into my groove.

Ha, also. As much as I love this song, it definitely has Remus Lupin/Sirius Black slash fiction themetune written all over it. ALL OVER IT. At this point I should probably confirm that my NaNo project does not include Harry Potter fanfiction, as much as I spent the age of 14-16 being all over that shit.

Sorry. Do ignore that tangent up there.

There's a really specific point in the story that makes me think of this song and I'm not there yet but I was plotting out the scene earlier so it's been in my mind today. It's almost the ending of the story and the point where everything gets a little bit emo. In fact, maybe it actually IS the ending, I haven't decided yet which way I'm going to go with the ending.

Anyway, I absolutely love Hinder and continue to force them on as many people as possible. Huskyyy voice ftw. If you haven't heard them before (even if you have) have a listen below but, be warned, it will conjure up old feelings of a love lost... Probably. Don't blame me if you drink yourself into oblivion and drunk text your ex after listening to this song.

Oh, also, I've put up the lyrics video to this, rather than the official video - mostly because the official video goes off on some weird 'cooking up some meth' tangent and I can't take it seriously at ALL. But, really, drugs are bad.



Happy Sunday everybody, love you all. Especially you.

2 comments:

  1. I love that song! And ha I used to write Marauders fan fiction to Hinder songs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNEW it! That's actually made my day <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.