Saturday, 5 May 2012

Blog Tour: How to Keep a Boy as a Pet - Diane Messidoro

Hi guys! I'm here today with the lovely Diane Messidoro on the last stop of her blog tour for How to Keep a Boy as a Pet. If you haven't had a chance to pick up a copy yet just head over to Goodreads and check out the reviews - I'm sure any contemporary fans will adore this one.

If you fancy winning a copy of the book and a How to Keep a Boy as a Pet T-shirt head over to the Electric Monkey website now to enter: http://www.electricmonkeybooks.co.uk/competitions/how-to-keep-a-boy-as-a-pet-competition/

Without further ado, I'll hand you over to Diane.


Hello, Carly, great to be here on the final leg of my blog tour. I hope this last post makes sense – I admit, it’s been a bit crazy, writing six blog posts in six days. Apologies in advance for any dodgy grammar, I promise not to smash up my ‘guitar’ (laptop) in a final ‘gig’ frenzy!

So, How to Keep a Boy as a Pet – as I mentioned in an earlier post this week, I get lots of different, often hilarious, reactions to the title. And people interpret it in quite different ways too, then when they read the book, they’re often quite surprised – it’s not quite what they thought it would be…

Anyway, without giving any of the plot away… When my heroine, Circe Shaw, is first getting her head around the ‘boy as pet’ idea, she has some fun wondering what kind of actual pets the boys she knows would be. I’m delighted now to have the chance to do the same with a few of my favourite romantic heroes. I wonder, if you’ve read the books, if you’ll agree… 



Fitzwilliam Darcy in Pride & Prejudice (Jane Austen)
I know, I know, Darcy is a bit of a cliché these days, but he’s popular for good reason! When I first came across him, when I was about 12, I think, he stole my heart as soon as he strode in. If he was a pet he’d definitely be the most aloof kind of cat, very sleek, and a bit hissy, but definitely worth putting in the effort to get to know. (See also Mark Darcy in Bridget Jones’ Diary)

Seth Starkadder in Cold Comfort Farm (Stella Gibbons)
My grandma gave me her much-thumbed early edition of this wonderful comedy when I was a teen and I fell head over heels with Seth Starkadder, the smouldering, sulky farmhand who dreams of being in the movies. If you haven’t seen the film, with Rufus Sewell playing Seth, put it on your ‘must watch’ list. If Seth was a pet he’d be a stray tomcat, swishing his tail and being pursued by all the pedigree ladies in town.






Simon and Neil Cotton in I Capture the Castle (Dodie Smith)
Okay, this is a two-in-one, hope that’s allowed, Carly! Again, my grandma gave me this to read when I was a teen, and I loved the feisty heroine, Cassandra, and her mission to ‘capture the castle’ – all the goings-on in her crumbling, eccentric household. With more than a nod to Pride & Prejudice, the girls of the house are all aflutter when two new boys move in nearby – Simon’s serious and a bit scary at first, but I remember being as fascinated by him as Cassandra is. If he was a pet I think he’d be a black Belgian Shepherd dog, you’d be slightly worried about going near him. Neil’s friendly and sporty – a bit like Circe’s best friend in my book – I think he’d be a golden retriever, enthusiastic, good fun, and excellent at fetching things!



Rupert Campbell-Black in Riders (Jilly Cooper)
God he’s just all wrong! He’s awful, really. He’s a pig to his girlfriends, he swears and sneers and struts about – and he isn’t even dark (I tend to prefer my pet boys dark and smouldering) If he was an actual pet he’d be a glossy but snarling fancy blonde Afghan hound or something. But, it’s impossible not to fancy him, go on, read it, try and resist…

*

Thanks for stopping by, Diane. So, who would you guys pick as your top book boy pets? I'm pretty sure Maxim de Winter would be up there for me!

4 comments:

  1. Ahhhh... Maxim, I'd forgotten him, how could I have forgotten him? Thanks for the reminder, Carly. Thinking afternoon on the sofa with Lawrence Olivier in the beautiful old b/w film vers of Rebecca, might have to send my pet husband out for a walk on his own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds wonderful, I might join you! Have sent pet boyfriend off to play with some new techy gadget he bought, great minds!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an absolutely FUN post. I love the idea of boys as pets. Thinking what sort of pet my guy would be is really distracting me now..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit this content was very worthwhile. I discovered you with a google search and was rather stunned at your rank for this article.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.