Thursday, 17 May 2012

From the Review Pile (1) - Slated - Teri Terry




What’s that I hear you cry, a new meme? Well, yes, indeedy. I’m not a big one for memes, really. In my early blogging days I was all over that shit; Teaser Tuesday, Waiting on Wednesday, On my Wishlist, IMM. I’m telling you, there was a meme, I was on it. However, I began to realise that meme after meme does not a good blog make, it just makes it look as though you seriously lack imagination. Sure, I’m all for people doing memes but nothing aggravates me more than a blog that is just memes. Break it up with a review once in a while, that’s all I’m saying. But then, each to their own and all that. Meme overkill is just not for me.

That sure is a confusing introduction considering this is a post about a new meme I’m joining in with. But I am attempting to make a point, which is that I think memes are great, when used in moderation. As I evolved as a blogger I cut out more and more of the memes I took part in and eventually phased them out all together, pretty much. I do my own themed posts once a week (or once a month, if I’m feeling lazy), like My Favourite Covers and things like that, so I guess they’re personal memes. Kind of.

However, I saw the lovely Raimy from Readaraptor retweet something the other day that Steph at Stepping Out of the Page had tweeted about a new meme she’s started. I liked the sound of it so checked it out and lo and behold, this is, for sure, the perfect meme for me.

Click the lovely graphic above to visit the brill Stepping Out of the Page

From Stepping Out of the Page: From the Review Pile is a meme hosted by Stepping Out of the Page every Thursday. The aim of this meme is to showcase books that you've received for review (or any book that you own and really want to read/review) but haven't yet got around to reading, in order to give the book some extra publicity.

2012 has been a busy year at Writing from the Tub in terms of review copies and a combination of focusing on my own writing and a lot of real life busy-ness has meant I haven’t been getting through new releases as quickly as I’d like. There are so many wonderful books on my shelves that I’ve been sent by publishers that are waiting to be read, so I’m looking forward to using From the Review Pile as a way to give them a bit of coverage and publicity while I’m working my way to them.

I’m hoping to take part in From the Review Pile every week but, well, I’m happy to hold my hands up here and say I’m not the most reliable of gals when it comes to routine, so we’ll see. I’m also planning to join in with Letterbox Love every so often but I think that’ll be once a month, rather than weekly. Again, we shall see.

And now, before I can digress any further, here is my first From the Review Pile:

Slated - Teri Terry

I'm so intrigued by Slated and I've loved reading all the reviews of it that have been popping up over the blogosphere. It's a debut, it's British and it sounds like a wonderfully dark dystopia, I can't wait to read it! The tone and memory loss elements remind me a little of The Adoration of Jenna Fox, though obviously the content is very different - is there any truth in that, anyone who's read both books?

Summary (from Goodreads): Kyla’s memory has been erased,
her personality wiped blank,
her memories lost for ever.

She’s been Slated.

The government claims she was a terrorist, and that they are giving her a second chance - as long as she plays by their rules. But echoes of the past whisper in Kyla’s mind. Someone is lying to her, and nothing is as it seems. Who can she trust in her search for the truth? 


For more information about Slated you can visit the Slated Goodreads page or Slated website. For more details about the author, Teri Terry, you can visit her website or follow her on Twitter.

6 comments:

  1. Carly, I loved Slated. I haven't read the other book you mention so I don't know. Bear in mind it's the first in a planned trilogy.....and you'll probably want the second book long before it's published :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might need to take part in this meme too. I have so many unread that need some blog loving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for joining in, Carly! I'm glad that this meme looks useful to you :) I actually have Slated ordered (I have for a while now, but no idea where it is!) as it looks really exciting. I've heard some great reviews for it too! I hope that you enjoy it once you get around to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cover alone has me very interested in Slated, but the premise sealed it. :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh- I've seen this about on a lot of blogs lately but I had never really paid attention to what it's about. Hope you enjoy it when you get around to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sound of this one, it's already on my wishlist, just have to find a copy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.