Tuesday, 15 May 2012

Interview: Paige Harbison - New Girl

Good evening my dears! This one's a little late in the day but I've got a brill Q&A for you with the gorgeous author of New Girl (and Here Lies Bridget - one of my faves from last year), Paige Harbison.

It would be so easy to hate Paige - she's super talented, ridiculously successful at only twenty one and has awesome hair. However, she writes kick ass books and is lovely, which makes hating her an impossibility. I'm a big fan of her books and an even bigger fan of the fact she fully appreciated my drunk tweeting about how alcohol enhanced my reading experience of Here Lies Bridget last year.

My review of New Girl should be up in the next week or so (it was great, by the way) but until then, here's a little interview with the lady herself:



1. Do you own a Kindle or other e-reader? What’s your opinion on them?

I do, actually! I own a Kindle Fire. I was totally not interested in them at first. I love books and I love how they look. I think they’re the one kind of thing you can have an abundance of that will never make your home look cluttered. So, that said, I really like collecting pretty books and putting them on my shelf. But after receiving one for Christmas, I have to admit…it’s pretty awesome. I’m irresponsible with my money, however, so I’m likely to re-buy a pretty book just to have it on my shelf…=)

2. What reading for pleasure do you prefer to read standalones or series? Why?

I like both equally. I like to read series’ because it gives you a chance to really get to know characters. Also, if you love the world of the book, it’s fun to live in it for as long as you can. I recently read The Magnolia League, and I’m glad it’s a series because I love sitting out by the pool and reading this hoodoo-filled story set in sleepy, creepy Savannah, GA. Standalones I like because you know it will get resolved by the end. An example of this is Pretty Little Liars. To me, that series just strings along a plot that could have been narrowed down to one very satisfying book.

3. Some writers relate take great inspiration from music while they’re writing. Do you listen to music while you’re writing? If so, what artists/bands do you like to listen to while you write?

I do sometimes, yes. In fact in the book I’m working on now, I’m considering having a playlist to go with the book. My mother—Beth Harbison—did this with her most recent book, Always Something There To Remind Me. I helped her come up with the perfect songs for the story, and I think it’s really fun. It can really set the mood for the reader. As for while I’m writing, I don’t keep music on in the background all the time. But whenever I write party scenes, hook-up scenes, or fun scenes, I put on music and sometimes mention the song I am listening to and envisioning with the scene.

4. Are you a plotter or a pantser? Have you always been this way?

I find that I do not, and in fact cannot plot. I actually only just realized this the other day. I think in books like mine, which are fuelled by the actions of teenagers—mostly girls—it fits that I don’t plan it all out. Things just happen. I write a conversation between two girls, I sense that one starts to get offended or jealous or angry, and then she acts on it. I think I write like people think. This leads to my characters making mistakes and taking false steps, but I think it’s more human that way. I definitely try to come up with a plot that is made up of some number of points I intend to hit, but how I get there is totally up to the characters as they go.

5. How important do you think social media (i.e. Twitter/Facebook/blogging) is in today’s market for a writer?

I think it’s definitely important. As a reader, when I see someone tweeting (or whatever) about some book they are just obsessing over, I get intrigued. As a writer, I like being able to interact and have a relationship with my readers.






1 comment:

  1. This novel was filled with tension from the time the "New Girl" set foot on the campus of Manderly until she graduated. I kept waiting for Becca to return, or for her roommate to try to kill her. And I'm not saying attempts were not made on her life. Her roommate was extremely abusive. The climax is unexpected and the accusations that fly are extremely revealing. I loved this book. The tension, the "New Girl" finding herself and refusing to give in to the constant pressure of being something she wasn't, the mystery behind Becca's disappearance, it all lead to a great story. I've never read Rebecca so I don't know how it did as a retelling, but as a novel for today, I thought it was excellent!

    Oh, as a rating, there was a lot of casual sex, drinking and drugs, the typical fare of boarding schools that actually does happen parents. So be advised. The sex is not detailed, but there is a lot of it and the drinking is excessive. You've been warned. I think all of it was necessary for the story.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.