Tuesday, 26 June 2012

RHCP Summer Blogger's Brunch

So two weeks ago I was lucky enough to attend the RHCP Summer Blogger's Brunch, at the lovely Random House offices in Pimlico. This was my...fifth brunch (I think) and I came away with the same sense of excitement and enthusiasm for their books that I always do.

I know I say this every time but I'm so impressed with the diverse line of books that Random House are bringing out over the next year or so. There really is something for everybody and I'm really chuffed at how many contemporary novels they have coming out - yay!

We had a great presentation by two of the RH cover designers and it was great to see all of the stages involved to bring readers a completed cover. We also got to chat to two of the lovely ladies who are bringing the Vintage Children's Classics range to the shelf - which is going to be amazing! I love classic children's stories and I think the list they've come up with is just fantastic and the covers are beautiful, I really can't wait to see them for real. I was lucky enough to get a copy of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland in my goodie bag so I'll definitely be dipping into that soon.

Lastly, we all got to meet Laura Dockrill, whose MG series about Darcy Burdock is due out early next year. Laura treated us to a reading from book one and, honestly, it's hilarious. With a background in performance poetry Laura absolutely brought her protagonist to life and I'm so, so excited to read these books. They're going to be fab!

Anyway, as always I'm completely desperate for pretty much every single book Random House are bringing out over the next year but I just wanted to highlight a few titles I'm particularly excited about:

Never Fall Down - Patricia McCormick (due out 02/08/2012)

I know I'm going to be a mess by the end of the this one. Tissues at the ready, folks.



The Terrible Thing that Happened to Barnaby Brocket - John Boyne (02/08/2012)

As you've probably gathered from my past reviews, I'm a huge fan of John Boyne. He always manages to reduce me to tears and I'm sure Barnaby Brocket won't be any exception. We saw some early artwork for this one at the January 2012 brunch and it looks lovely, I really can't wait for it!



The Paladin Prophecy - Mark Frost (27/09/2012)

When I read that Mark Frost was the author I did a bit of a double take...then assumed it must be a different Mark Frost. But no! Half of the creative genius behind Twin Peaks has written a YA novel. Bloody hell! All I need is for Damon Lindelof to bring out a series and I'll actually explode from sheer joy. Guys, you have no idea, seriously. I can't even articulate my thoughts to express how excited I am that Mark Frost has written a YA novel. It's the dream, folks.



Red Rain - R. L. Stine (11/10/2012)

Oh dear lord, I love R. L. Stine. I spent my childhood years devouring everything he brought out, I still have my (almost entirely complete) collection of Goosebumps books on display in my writing room and he will always be right at the top of my list of authors who made my childhood. I'm a huge horror fan, as you all know, and I don't think there's a single author out there (besides Stephen King) who has cemented by love of horror as much as this man. And he's only bringing out a new book! That looks amazing! Ahhhh. I'm so excited. SO excited. This is, hands down, the 2012 book I'm most excited about. I am OFF THE CHARTS excited.



The Feathered Man - Jeremy de Quidt (01/11/2012)

I read and reviewed de Quidt's The Toymaker last year and I really enjoyed it. I think it's a hugely underrated novel and I'm so intrigued by The Feathered Man, so roll on November! De Quidt writes just the kind of scary stories that I like - creepy rather than gory, the kind of insidious ideas that wrap themselves around you in the dark and won't let go.



Such Wicked Intent - Kenneth Oppel (02/08/2012)

Half Brother is still one of my favourite reads of the last few years and I'm only part way through This Dark Endeavour but I already love it. I studied Frankenstein for my A-levels and it'll always have a little spot close to my heart so I love this origin story.



Boys Don't Cry II - Malorie Blackman (2013)

I adored Boys Don't Cry and I've been hoping for a sequel ever since so I can't wait for this one. Malorie Blackman is absolutely one of the best British writers out there at the moment and I can't wait to see how she continues with the story in the sequel.

*

Trust me, there are so many other wonderful books that Random House are bringing out shortly so the above is just a snapshot of those I'm most excited about.

I want to say a huge thank you to the whole Random House team who gave up their Saturday morning to chat to us and provide us with tea, cake and brilliant goodie bags - you SPOIL us so! Another big thanks to Laura Dockrill, who was sweet and charming and generally lovely to meet.

2 comments:

  1. I am very excited about the Kenneth Oppel one. I loved his first book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic write up Carly! I love R L Stine too but Red Rain sounds a little too scary for my tastes!

    Really excited about The Terrible Thing that Happened to Barnaby Brocket.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.