Saturday, 28 July 2012

Children's Literature in the Olympic Opening Ceremony

So I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people reading this watched last night's brilliant Olympic Opening Ceremony; by the look of it on Twitter every single person I follow was getting involved!

I'm writing a longer post about the Opening Ceremony on my personal blog, Life from the Tub, but I just wanted to talk quickly about how bloody happy I am that literature played such a strong part in the proceeding last night! HELL FRICKING YES!

When the camera panned around to show JK Rowling I pretty much lost my shit. I gasped. I actually gasped out loud. Possibly a slight overreaction but I was just so excited to see her there. She utterly deserved it and she read beautifully.

I'm so glad that Danny Boyle included so many wonderful books that I'm sure we all read and loved in our childhoods - and now! Harry Potter (is there anything cooler than a 60ft Voldemort?), Mary Poppins, Peter Man, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (that Childcatcher was wonderfully creepy) et al. 

Thank you, Danny Boyle, on behalf of all book lovers, thank you so much.

5 comments:

  1. Yes!! The Opening Ceremony was AMAZING!!! It was great how they included that bit all to do with children's literature, and I'm so happy they worked Harry Potter into it :D Although I am rather tired now, after having gone to sleep at 1am...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me incredibly happy. When the ceremony started, I thought that J.K. Rowling needed to be mentioned somewhere in this ceremony. So when I saw her, I wasn't really surprised. But about thirty minutes later, it all hit me. J.K. Rowling was there. They incorporated Harry Potter. They incorporated my childhood. I must admit I got quite teary-eyed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved it all so much but the JK Rowling appearance made my night :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What were those black baddies during the literature part?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't watch it but googled the children's lit bit and it was great! Loved it and made me feel proud to be British! Was the childcatcher Noel Fielding though? I can't find an answer to that question online but it look a lot like him!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.