Wednesday, 1 August 2012

Vintage Children's Classics: Covers, Branding and Extra Content

Now, I've spoken a little bit about my love of branding here at Writing from the Tub but over the next few months I'm going to be talking about it in a lot more detail. To start things off, however, I want to focus on the Vintage Children's Classics list, which is being released tomorrow.

The launch list of made up of twenty titles, old and new, which are beloved by children and adults alike. It must have been a huge challenge to brand twenty such different stories with a similar look to ensure they fit together and look like they belong in the same collection. However, the cover designers for the Vintage Children's Classics range did a remarkable job and I think they struck the perfect balance to make sure that each book kept its own identity but looks as though it belongs alongside the other books on the list.

In case you haven't seen the covers yet just take a look below and I'm sure you'll see what I mean.



As you can see, there's a heavy influence on bold colours, silhouettes and wrap around covers that extend onto the back; a little touch that I really love. While the covers are fit in nicely together, they are different enough that the individual story isn't lost in a generic cover design. Each cover really does stay true to what's within the page and I love that - Swallows and Amazons and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time are such different books but will look beautiful next to each other on the bookshelf.

As well as great cover design, each book in the Vintage Children's Classics range also has the Backstory feature, which I'm sure is going to be a huge hit with younger readers in particular. Backstory is extra content for each book, which is included after the story. This is made up of quizzes, maps, author interviews and fun activities for readers to try at home (like writing a nonsense poem as part of the Alice in Wonderland Backstory. I was always a huge fan of extra content in books (I still am, actually!) and I've really enjoyed the Backstory feature in the copies I was lucky enough to be sent for review.

When the official website, World of Stories, is launched tomorrow (all the details will be here tomorrow morning at 7am) do make sure you swing by to check out the full list of books and feast your eyes on their covers and extra content. Vintage have really gone the extra mile to make sure their lists stands out and I can't wait to build up my collection of these lovely books.

3 comments:

  1. Aren't they gorgeous? I have loved reading them this week and showing them off.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.