Thursday, 25 October 2012

From the Review Pile (7) - The Diviners


Click the lovely graphic above to visit the brill Stepping Out of the Page


From Stepping Out of the Page: From the Review Pile is a meme hosted by Stepping Out of the Page every Thursday. The aim of this meme is to showcase books that you've received for review (or any book that you own and really want to read/review) but haven't yet got around to reading, in order to give the book some extra publicity.

2012 has been a busy year at Writing from the Tub in terms of review copies and a combination of focusing on my own writing and a lot of real life busy-ness has meant I haven’t been getting through new releases as quickly as I’d like. There are so many wonderful books on my shelves that I’ve been sent by publishers that are waiting to be read, so I’m looking forward to using From the Review Pile as a way to give them a bit of coverage and publicity while I’m working my way to them.


This week I want to highlight The Diviners by Libba Bray. With an intriguing story and a stunning design, The Diviners is a book I've spent most of 2012 being excited for. I finally have a copy and I can't wait to start it - though this is one of those that I want to make sure I'm in the right mood for, as I want to savour it as much as possible!

The Diviners (The Diviners #1)


Summary (from Goodreads): It's 1920s New York City. It's flappers and Follies, jazz and gin. It's after the war but before the depression. And for certain group of bright young things it's the opportunity to party like never before.

For Evie O'Neill, it's escape. She's never fit in in small town Ohio and when she causes yet another scandal, she's shipped off to stay with an uncle in the big city. But far from being exile, this is exactly what she's always wanted: the chance to show how thoroughly modern and incredibly daring she can be.

But New York City isn't about just jazz babies and follies girls. It has a darker side. Young women are being murdered across the city. And these aren't crimes of passion. They're gruesome. They're planned. They bear a strange resemblance to an obscure group of tarot cards. And the New York City police can't solve them alone.

Evie wasn't just escaping the stifling life of Ohio, she was running from the knowledge of what she could do. She has a secret. A mysterious power that could help catch the killer - if he doesn't catch her first.

4 comments:

  1. I'm waiting for the right time for this one as well. I'm so excited to read it and I know it'll be fabulous, but I'm just not at that place yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, yep. I really want to read this one too. I haven't seen this particular cover yet, though! I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Clover! At the moment, I'm in the mood for a few shorter reads to ease me out of my reading slump so I don't want to start this one just yet. But soon, I hope...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    in uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.