Thursday, 13 December 2012

Twelve Days of Christmas: Top Twelve Books Read in 2012

So in the lead up to Christmas I'm running my annual Twelve Days of Christmas feature, where I post about my favourite books, covers and characters of 2012, as well as books I can't wait for in 2013. In today's post I'm going to be talking about my top twelve releases of 2012.


In no particular order my favourites are:

Undone - Cat Clarke 

The most recent release on the list, Undone is Cat Clarke's third book. If you're a fan of dark contemporary stories you'll absolutely adore this one. 

 

 Butter - Erin Jade Lange

Another dark contemporary, Butter is an incredibly powerful debut novel that was probably my most awaited release of 2012. About a boy who plans to eat himself to death online for his classmates to watch, this is a difficult but engrossing read.



This Is So Not Happening - Kieran Scott 

The final installment in the He's So/She's So series was perfect, ended just the way I wanted it to and was a wonderful way to say goodbye to some of my favourite contemporary characters.



Zom-B - Darren Shan

A violent, action-packed story, Zom-B has the best twist of any book I've read this year and I'm counting down the days to Zom-B Underground, the second installment.



The Seeing - Diana Hendry 

One of the most underrated stories of 2012, I urge anybody who enjoys a sinister story to pick up a copy of The Seeing. It's beautifully written and truly unsettling. Great stuff.



The Hunt - Andrew Fukuda 

Finally - a YA vampire story where vampires are the bad guys! Thank the lord for Andrew Fukuda. I loved this one and I can't wait for book two, The Prey.



Changeling - Philippa Gregory 

I was lucky enough to be invited to meet Philippa Gregory earlier in the year, which was one of my highlights of 2012. Changeling is a brilliant historical YA and was my most surprising read of the year.



The DUFF - Kody Keplinger 

A laugh out loud funny, sweet and sexy story, The DUFF kept me entertained from beginning to end. This turned me into a huge fan of Keplinger's and I can't wait to try more of her books soon.



Kiss Date Love Hate - Luisa Plaja 

I love Luisa's novels, I really do. They always make me laugh, usually make me cry and KDLH was no exception. Particularly recommended for younger teens.



Real Live Boyfriends - E. Lockhart

The final book in my favourite contemporary series of all time, Real Live Boyfriends was the perfect ending to the Ruby Oliver series. I'll always love these books and I'm so happy Lockhart gave the characters the send off they deserve.



Room - Emma Donoghue

While Room isn't the most enjoyable book in the world it is a beautifully written story that's impossible not to talk about after you've finished reading.



Adorkable - Sarra Manning

I always love Sarra Manning's books and Adorkable was no exception. Top notch contemporary fun!



*

So there we have it - that's my list of the books I enjoyed most in 2012. What books are on your list?

3 comments:

  1. I've heard of most, read one and got another to read. Good list though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Without a doubt my top read has to be Adorkable. I'm currently reading The Fault in Our Stars, and that is definitely going to make it on my list of top 2012 reads as well. Great list Carly - out of all the books, I'm so dying to read Undone. I'm pretty sure it's going to be as phenomenal as Entangled was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I loved so many of these books (Zom-B, Adorkable, Real Live Boyfriends, Kiss Date Love Hate, THe DUFF) and I've just yesterday finished The Seeing. SO disturbing, I loved it. Butter sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.