Tuesday, 1 January 2013

New Year's Resolutions

It wouldn't be New Year's Day without a few resolutions to improve myself over the next year so I thought I'd post up a few of my book, blog and writing related resolutions in a bid to try to stick to them as closely as possible.

1. Say 'no' more

This is the big one for me and something I've been trying to work on for a long time now. Like so many of us I do lead a hectic life and often find myself getting guilted into taking on more work than I can really handle. I always seem to have an endless to do list so this year I'm determined to focus on a few projects rather than take on too much and be too busy to enjoy myself.

2. Be more disciplined with my writing

2012 was a complete failure for writing, mostly because I totally fell out of my routine and procrastinated pretty much an entire year away. BAD CARLY! In 2013 I'm going to dedicate at least an hour a day to working in the rewrite of Reckless. Hopefully I'll get to spend more time than that most days but, whatever happens, I have to do that hour a day, even if it means I stare at a blank screen and just think about edits or go for a run and figure out a plot problem.

3. Read books that I want to read

As I mentioned earlier, I'm terrible for getting pressured into doing things I don't want to do and in 2012 I found myself agreeing to look at numerous books for review simply because when I tried to say no a copy plopped through my letter box anyway. From now on I'm only going to read what I genuinely want to read and any unsolicited review copies will be being donated to my local library. I'm hoping this will stop reading slumps and blog burn out, fingers crossed!

4. Go for quality over quantity when it comes to blog posts

Writing from the Tub is going in a slightly different direction in 2013, with more focus being put on discussion posts, observations about trends and writing updates, rather than reviews. I'll still be reviewing but not as often; I'm aiming for one review a week at the moment as I'm hoping posting every two to three days rather than every day will give me a chance to give you guys better quality content, rather than barraging you with rushed posts. That's the plan, at least! If you have any ideas of content you'd like to see at Writing from the Tub please do let me know in the comments.

*

So those are my writing and blog related resolutions for 2013. What are your resolutions? Let me know!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with all of your goals this year :) One of my big ones is to stop all the pressure that comes with blogging. And that means shoving the unsolicited books for review into a box to be donated to a local secondary school. I'm not going to sink into that trap of trying to read everything that comes my way either. Hopefully.

    I'm hoping to get back into writing reviews in 2013, as I've been a disaster with them over the last few months, but I'll definitely be cutting it back from 3-4 to 1-2. I want blogging to be fun again, and it hasn't been for me lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Say No more is one of my resolutions too!
    http://golddustk.blogspot.co.uk/
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.