Thursday, 3 January 2013

Reckless Update

Ah, Reckless, my book baby. Still a work in progress, still being edited. Still. Yes, I know. I wrote the first draft of Reckless in the summer of 2011 and I've been working on it ever since. Well, except for my severe slacking off in 2012 but we'll gloss over that for now.

When I started Reckless it was in third person, past tense. I quickly realised third person wasn't the way to go to carried on in first person. It resolved a whole host of issues and made the story so much better; all was well. However, for the last few months I was very aware that something just wasn't quite right about Reckless in the format it's currently in. I loved the characters, the plot, the location but there was something I couldn't put my finger on that was dragging it down. Finally I realised it was the tense. God damn it.

And so I'm rewriting Reckless, for the gazillionth time, in the present tense. It's a long, long process and is going to include a massive edit after I've finished changing the tense but I'm confident it's going to make everything a hundred times better. Hopefully, at least.

My wonderful writing group have been so helpful over the last year so I really hope they think this change is for the better. We're going on a big writing holiday next month to go over each other's books so I'll find out then, eek! At least if it's not working I'll still have the past tense version to work off of. Gah! It's a bit stressful trying to get everything done in time but hopefully I'll manage to have changed enough that they'll be able to let me know if it's a good idea or not.

Anyway, I'm going to keep you guys updated with my progress so wish me luck. By my next update I'm hoping to have gone through another 20k words or so to sort out the tense. It's a long old slog but I know it'll be worth it when Reckless is shiny and finished and as close to perfect as possible!

1 comment:

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.