Wednesday, 20 February 2013

EEK I HAZ AN UPCOMING EVENT

Hello everybody! Happy Wednesday etc etc.

I just wanted to post today about an event I'm running next week at my local library which is focusing on writing for blogs. It's a two session I'm going to be taking to talk a little bit about my experience with blogging and offer tips and advice for anybody looking to set up their own blog. I'm going to be covering a loooooot of stuff and I'm so excited about it but I need your help!

What things do you wish you'd known when you started blogging? If you could give one piece of advice for a new blogger, what would it be? What are your top blogging tips?

I'm going to be including these within the session, so any suggestions you have would be really appreciated!

If anybody fancies coming along (though I know I'm pretty far away from most of you) the session is taking place next Thursday the 28th of February at 7pm at Trowbridge library. I would LOVE to see your faces there.

10 comments:

  1. If I could give any advice to a new blogger, it would be - do not give up! It might seem hard at the beginning, but the rewards if you keep going will be great.

    A good blogging tip is to ask a compelling question at the end of a blog post. It can help to get more comments! Oh and always use spell check. :D

    Good luck with your event!

    Amber
    The Mile Long Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I like the question tip - that's a brilliant one. Thanks Amber!x

      Delete
  2. Don't be disheartened if you only get a couple views and comments for the first few months, it gets better when word gets out! And you have a lot to do with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup definitely going to talk about followers/page views etc. Thanks hun!x

      Delete
  3. Wow, congratulations! I'd offer up to dispense with that gotcha lettering to leave a comment and to click settings to avoid anon comments (and potential spammers) and to hang in there!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, great tips, thanks Kittie - I didn't have anything down about comments!x

      Delete
  4. Mention about copyright and hotlinking etc?

    Hmmm... There's so many things! But I'm sure you've got most of them figured out already :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nikki-Ann - those are great ideas actually that I didn't have on my list. Thank you!x

      Delete
  5. Ooh! This sounds fab - good luck with the event!

    The only bit of advice I would add (though it's not the greatest in the world hehe) is to choose the blogging platform carefully (bet you knew I was going to say that ;) ).

    Blogger is great (did I really just say that? :p) - the following system on here makes it worth it but know it has its limitations. It's perfect if you want a reliable system that just works.

    WordPress is great and can be used to create just about any kind of blog (or website for that matter) with almost any feature you want. The themes and plugins available to expand it are unmatched on any other platform. But although it's fairly simple to use it can take a little while to get used to.

    And of course there are others you might want to check out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe you could mention something about the community an how important it is to be a part of that network of support when blogging. Or even on a basic level that it's just helpful having people to ask for advice, spread the word and know what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.