Monday, 4 February 2013

February Reading List

So, before I list the books I'm hoping to read in February let's have a look at how I did with my January list!

On my list I had:

  • Splintered - A.G. Howard
  • Broken - A.E. Rought
  • The Prey - Andrew Fukuda
  • Just One Day - Gayle Forman
  • The Tragedy Paper - Elizabeth LaBan
  • Teeth - Hannah Moskowitz
  • The Madman's Daughter - Megan Shepherd

Out of those I managed at least start everything - aside from The Madman's Daughter but that was only because The Book Depository only shipped my pre-order once January was already over, so I'm not counting that one was my fault!

I finished Splintered, Broken, The Prey and The Tragedy Paper. I enjoyed all of them but I think The Tragedy Paper was my favourite, though I adored The Prey as well. I also went a bit rogue and read Zom-B Underground, Ketchup Clouds, The S-Word and The Last Minute that weren't on my list but I couldn't resist!

Again, I enjoyed reading all of these but The S-Word was the weak link out of the four. Definitely not a bad book but it didn't blow me away as much as The Last Minute, which was my favourite. I've already reviewed Zom-B Underground (which was fantastic) and a review of Ketchup Clouds will be coming soon - a really lovely book that I wholly recommend.



Now, onto those books I haven't finished... Teeth and Just One Day. I started reading Teeth a couple of days ago and I'm enjoying it so far so I'll let you know once I'm further through, as I'm only twenty or so pages in at the moment but so far so good.

I don't know what's happening to me. I couldn't finish Just One Day.

As I'm sure you're all aware I absolutely blimmin' love Gayle Forman. I love, love, love If I Stay/Where She Went, I've interviewed Gayle here at Writing from the Tub before and I love following her on Twitter. But, for some reason, I couldn't get into Just One Day. I swear I'm the ONLY person in the world who wasn't completely enraptured by it but it just wasn't happening.

I love the idea of the story, the writing is beautiful and I know I should be enjoying it but it's just not working for me. So, instead of giving up completely, I've set it to one side and am planning on picking it back up when it calls to me again. I really enjoyed the first few chapters but after that things went on a bit of a decline. As I said, though, this is a case where it's absolutely me and not the book - so don't let any of this put you off what I *know* is a great book, I just can't gel with it. Annoying.

Anyway, look out for reviews of Ketchup Clouds, Splintered, The S-Word, The Tragedy Paper and The Last Minute coming throughout Feb!




The books I'm hoping to read in February are:

- The Madman's Daughter - Megan Shepherd (this *should* arrive shortly so I'll be able to get cracking with it)
- Teeth - Hannah Moskowitz
- Dead Romantic - CJ Skuse
 - Hunger - Melvin Burgess
 - From What I Remember - Valerie Thomas and Stacey Kramer
 - Drowning Instinct - Ilsa J. Bick

Only six of the last for this month as I know Feb is going to be BUSY! This week I'm busy from Thursday - Sunday with a Chicken House event (EXCITING) and my minibreak with my writing group (ALSO EXCITING). Then I've got a few nights out and bits and bobs planned (including a meet up with some lovely beauty and lifestyle bloggers one weekend - which should be FUN). And, finally, at the end of the month I'm going to be running a blogging workshop at my local library - EQUAL MIXTURE OF EXCITEMENT AND TERROR. So, yes, I won't have as much time for reading as I'd like but I'm really excited for all of these books and I'm hoping they live up to the wonderful things I've heard from other bloggers.


3 comments:

  1. What a shame that you didn't LOVE Just One Day. It wasn't as emotional as the other books she's read, but I still fell in love with it :)

    I'm hoping to read From What I Remember and Hunger this month too. Alongside my 10 non-review books. That's going to be a struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you love From What I Remember! One of my favourite reads this month! Absolutely loved it. I have Hunger on the pile too. Must get to that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't totally enamoured with Just One Day, I have to say. I mean, it's a beautifully written book and I really enjoyed it, but I didn't fall totally in love with it. A lot of this had to do with my feelings towards the MC. I didn't really get her.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.