Sunday, 1 September 2013

Breaking the Block

Disclaimer: This post has been sponsored by Grammarly, an online automated proofreader.

I used Grammarly to grammar check this post, because it's been such a hectic week I've been rendered incapable of telling the difference between colons and commas or dashes and ditto marks.

It's been a tough few months for my creative side. As you can tell just from looking at this poor, neglected blog I've been going through a bit of a rough patch with my writing.It's hard. It's hard to be full of ideas that can't quite make it onto paper. It's hard to feel like you're being lazy or falling behind your peers because the words just won't come, however hard you try and however much you will them to.

Over the past three months I've written about 6000 words of my novel. This is beyond slow progress and it's really been getting to me. It was getting to the point when I dreaded sitting down at my laptop for a writing session because I knew I'd walk away two hours later feeling like a failure. I'd never in my life dreaded writing, I'd always been excited for my writing time. Desperate for it, even. So when I started dreading it I knew I had to make changes.

First of all, I forced myself to relax and stop feeling guilty. I blog for myself first and foremost and, while I write with the end result of hopefully getting published, I don't have a deadline for finishing this draft. If it takes a month or a year it doesn't matter. What does matter to me, though, is that I enjoy the process, not resent it.

I made myself stop feeling guilty and instead use the time to enjoy other things. I caught up with friends, drowned in TV shows (where had Breaking Bad been all my life?!) and read. But I read books I'm not going to review, which was a lovely treat!

As soon as I backed away from writing I began to miss it. I found myself thinking about my characters, the last scene I'd written, the next scene I'd write. And slowly, gradually, I wanted to sit down and write. I longer for my writing time, I plotted out scenes in my head as I drove home from work. Slowly, gradually, I felt confident to write again.

It's been slow to get back into the swing of things but I'm getting there. I finished a whole new chapter in time for my writing group this month and it got a brilliant reception - yesss! My wonderful, patient, supportive writing group have been absolute stars and completely integral to me getting my creative mojo back so I'm so grateful to them - thanks guys!

So, I'm back! I'm not quite back up to speed but the cogs are turning and I'm excited to get this draft finished when I'm ready. I'm excited about this project, and new projects, and old projects. And that's a very good thing, in my opinion.

1 comment:

  1. It's definitely good! :) It's great that you've been getting back into writing, and it's great that you were able to take a step back when you needed to and just went with the flow for a little while. Sometimes I think people don't always realize how personal writing really is, that sometimes we have to give it time to feel right again. Happy writing! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.