So, the shortlist is out! Have you had a chance to look at it yet? If not, never fear, here are the shortlisted books:
- All the Truth That's in Me by Julie Berry (Templar)
- The Bunker Diary by Kevin Brooks (Puffin)
- The Child's Elephant by Rachel Campbell-Johnston (David Fickling Books)
- Ghost Hawk by Susan Cooper (Bodley Head)
- Blood Family by Anne Fine (Double Day)
- Rooftoppers by Katherine Rundell (Faber & Faber)
- Liar & Spy by Rebecca Stead (Anderson Press)
- The Wall by William Sutcliffe (Bloomsbury)
As you can see there's a nice range of titles on the list, though the Carnegie press release did point out that half of the titles on the list deal with issues of kidnapping and captivity, which is interesting! What do you guys make of that?
I was really sad to see some of my favourite reads of 2013 not on the list but completely over the moon to discover my absolute favourite book of 2013 made it to the shortlist. YES! Is it any surprise that I want The Bunker Diary to win? Surely not; I've only been banging on about it for almost a year.
It's time for Kevin Brooks to win, it really is. This is a phenomenal book and deserves to be acknowledged as such. Basically, Kevin Brooks is to the Carnegie Medal what Leo is to the Oscars. Come on now, The Bunker Diary to win!
For full details about the shortlist and the prize itself, you can have a gander on the Carnegie Greenaway website.