Thursday, 20 March 2014

Blog Tour: The Wicked We Have Done - Sarah Harian

Today I'm really excited to bring you guys a guest post from Sarah Harian, debut author of The Wicked We Have Done, which was released on March 18th and has a huge huge buzz surrounding it. If you haven't managed to get your hands on this one yet then make sure you do - it's fantastic! It's an action-packed thriller that will creep you out and make you think long after you've finished the story.

I could not adore this guest post any more, seriously! References to Lost AND Toni Morrison? Dear lord, it's love. So now I'll hand you over so the ever so lovely Sarah Harian:

I had a lot of influence when writing The Wicked We Have Done. It was the book that wrote itself at the time in my life when all of my fandoms seemed to interlink. I was re-watching LOST with one of my best friends because she hadn’t seen it. The Hunger Games movie was about to come out. I had also rekindled my love for Serenity and Firefly. Of course, this made for an interesting combo in terms of inspiration. 
I’ve always had a thing for wilderness. Nature has a huge influence on me personally, and it always ends up as one of the settings or the core setting in all of my projects. I knew that was going to be the case for The Wicked We Have Done the second that the novel began to form in my head. I was also hung up on the idea of finding personal redemption in the place where a character least expected it. I wanted my characters to be trapped within the wild, and under insane circumstances, be forced to work together in order to find escape. Throughout the process of their escape, I wanted them to uncover something about humanity.
Up until this point, I’d always written about good characters—people who were morally just and wanted to make their lives and the world a better place. Starting this book, I was just understanding what constituted a good antihero. An antihero could be someone who deviated from the path of a hero in certain ways, such as Mal Reynolds from Firefly or Quentin Coldwater from The Magicians. Or an antihero could be even darker and more villainous, like Dexter Morgan or Tom Ripley. 
I wanted to make not just one character an antihero, but all of them. I wanted all of them to be so terribly flawed that they were hated by mainstream society and slated as evil. So I decided to make the wilderness that these characters were trapped in a prison—a prison that was a character in itself, judging every inmate inside and deciding whether or not they deserved to live. I wanted the sins of the characters to define them, but at the same time, I wanted my readers rooting for them too.  
After several revisions and rewrites, The Wicked We Have Done turned into what it is now—a novel about screwed-up people surviving in the wild and seeking redemption. It was inspired by my fandoms, but also my desire to incorporate things that I’d always been obsessed with, such as nature, and things I newly became interested in, like antiheroes. 
I’m happy to say that this book became something that I always wanted to read but never could find. From the scary to the surreal to the swoony, it’s a mesh of everything I love. I have succeeded in following the great words of Toni Morrison: “If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”
The Wicked We Have Done is now available in eBook priced £2.49


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.