Monday, 5 May 2014

We Were Liars - E. Lockhart

Published: May 15th 2014, Hot Key Books
Pages: N/A, eBook
Series/standalone: Standalone
Acquired: Via Netgalley

Summary (from Goodreads): We are the Liars.

We are beautiful, privileged and live a life of carefree luxury.

We are cracked and broken.

A story of love and romance.

A tale of tragedy.

Which are lies?

Which is truth?

My review: I've been a fan of E. Lockhart ever since I read the first instalment in the Ruby Oliver series so I was so excited to see I got approved for We Were Liars on Netgalley. I finished reading this one a few days ago and I wanted to give myself some breathing room before writing my review because this is such a unique novel and I needed a bit of time to collect my thoughts!

The setting of We Were Liars is a beautiful island where the wealthy Sinclair family spend idyllic summers together and part of the reason this is such a strong book is because of this setting. The island took on a personality of its own and became a character on its on right - it reminded me of classic settings like Manderley from Rebecca. 

Everything about We Were Liars from the first word to the last is beautifully crafted and every single line sings out as something special. It's impossible not to be drawn in by Lockhart's hypnotising, lyrical voice and this style of writing really shows off her talent - but, of course, her trademark sharp wit is still present throughout the novel.

This is a hard book to review - I'm sure you've read this countless times on various blogs but it really is best to pick this up and read it knowing as little as possible, rather than reading reviews - the less you know, the better! But, I promise you, this is something special.

Do you know what? I'm going to leave this here, because I've tried to write about five other paragraphs but it was impossible not to give too much away about the plot, and I don't want to risk spoiling anything for anyone. Just...read it. Seriously. Please? For me. Discover the world of the Sinclairs, fall under their spell and dig deep to learn the secrets they'd rather keep hidden.

1 comment:

  1. I like your review. I would like to read We Are All Liars by E.Lockhart. Ireadnovels.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.